ALA conference attendance funding for excellent proposals submitted by scholars based in Africa. Three $1,000.00 awards.
Call for 2017 Travel Grant Applications
Yale University, New Haven, USA
14 – 17 June 2017
The African Literature Association invites applications for three ALA Travel Grant Awards worth $1,000 each, for members traveling to the association’s conference from Africa. Priority is given to early career applicants.
Eligible applicants must be based in Africa, and should demonstrate 1) scholarship; 2) financial need; and 3) ability to supplement grant award.
Travel Grant Applications must include the following documents:
- A cover letter (not longer than 2 pages) including title and abstract of conference paper to be presented at ALA conference;
- Acceptance letter from the convener;
- A 2 page Curriculum Vitae or résumé (including ALA travel grant awards received within the past three  years , teaching and/or research experience and interests, professional meetings/conferences attended, with dates, place and titles of papers presented, current university affiliation, if applicable); and
- Two letters of recommendation. Each letter should be 2 pages or less, and should include contact and brief biographical information of recommender. (Recommender’s CV or résumé is not needed).
- Winners of the award are expected to meet with the Chair of the committee and members of the EC when they attend the conference.
Travel grants are awarded to successful applicants during the Awards Ceremony at the conference. Successful applicants will be required to be paid-up ALA members for the current year and to pay conference registration fees. Please be advised that the ALA Membership fee is different from the conference registration fees; and both are compulsory for all conference participants.
Please send your complete application in Word or PDF format by February 28th 2017 to both Grace A Musila (email@example.com) and Joyce Ashuntantang (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
For more information about the conference, visit the Yale website: http://ala2017.macmillan.yale.edu/
Stella Onome Omonigho
University of Benin City
Université Félix-Houphouet Boigny
Giftus Nkam Ntambo
University of Yaoundé I
Carol IFEOMA NJOKU
University of Nigeria, Nsukka
Henrietta OBIAGELI OKOLOCHA
University of Benin, Benin City
University of Uyo
Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria
Institute of African Studies, University of Ibadan
Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria.
University of Nairobi
Department of English Language & Literature
Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka
Anambra State, Nigeria
Imo State University, Owerri
University of Education - Winneba
Clement Mamadu (unable to use the award),
University of Cape Town
University of Buea, Cameroon
University of Education - Ghana
University of Nairobi, Kenya
University of Malawi
Chancellor College, Department of English
Department of English,
Obafemi Awolowo University
High Institute of Human Sciences
Faculté des Lettres et Sciences Humaines
Université de Douala, Cameroun
Halima Buhari A. Sekula
Department of English
Nasarawa State University, Nigeria
Syned Dale Makani Mthatiwa
Wits Institute for Social and Economic Research (WISER),
University of the Witwatersrand